Sunday, June 16, 2013

Chicken, Apples, and Cream - Normandy Style

I love Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. Recently, I took her Chicken, Apples, and Cream - Normandy Style recipe and changed it up a bit. According to her, cream and apples are a staple of Normandy. This dish really made me want to visit!

We usually buy whole chicken. It is less expensive than pre-cut chicken, and organic chicken is expensive enough!! I decided to bake the chicken and then finish the sauce. I was worried the liquid wouldn't be enough, so I increased it. I should not have done that. Next time, I will skip the broth all together and just use the juices from the baked chicken.

Here is my version:

flour
salt and pepper
whole chicken, cut into pieces
container of mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
one apple: cored, peeled, and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 T Calvados
1/3 C cream

Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, salt, and pepper. Brown the chicken in a dutch oven, add the apple and mushrooms and then toss in a 350 degree oven until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove the chicken pieces and start boiling the juices down on the stove. Add the Calvados and cream and reduce until thick.

This is a super tasty sauce, and it is great with something that soaks up that sauce. We used polenta.

No comments: