Sunday, April 6, 2014

More Programming Updates

I attempted the Algorithms class on Coursera, and it was a bit too much of a reach. I think if I could have devoted more time, I could have made it work. However, with a full-time+ job and a family, it just was too much. That said, I cannot wait to be in a better position to work through the content. I bought the text, and I have all of the class lectures and assignments. My plan is to circle back, maybe late in the year.

Instead, I started on the three courses from Rice offered on Coursera. The beginning one is fairly easily. I probably could have skipped it, but I had concerns there might be something I would miss, *and* the class projects are all game based: Paper, Scissor, Rock, Lizard, Spock was the first. At some point we'll do Pong.

The other classes cover a Principles of Computing course, and then an Algorithmic Thinking course. Those are the two I am really looking forward to, since that is where I feel like my skill set is currently needing help.

I am still mulling my own kinds of projects that will be a solid demonstration of skills. I am also a bit nervous about the whole idea of changing careers, and wondering if I am just playing some massive joke on myself :) For the most part, though, I concentrate on the steps before me, rather than the mountain looming.

No comments: