Saturday, July 5, 2014

Halfway Through Principles of Computing

So I am at the halfway point in the class, and seriously thinking of bailing. These last weeks of probability, randomness, and combinatorics have really put the pressure on me. I don't think necessarily the class is the problem. Rather, the problem is the lack of a discrete math background and the lack of sufficient spare time to make up for it. I did intend to work through a Discrete Math course, but I was waiting until this series was done. In retrospect, I think it would have been better to do the Math first :).

So, these past two weeks have been kicking my learning-to-program butt. I was thinking I should pull out and isolate work on the maths. I can always return to the programming after I have a handle on the maths. I found a couple of books to start creating a lesson plan, and I checked out the syllabus for my programming class to make sure I cover all of the relevant topics. To my surprise, this looks like the last week focusing on maths!! Instead, next week we move onto data types and inheritance. Oh definitely more up my alley.

My current plan is to stick with the class one more week and see if there are still big gaping holes to fill. I can always back out next week. I'd really hate to lose momentum in this series. I finished this week's mini-project with a perfect score, and if I can at least pass the homework, I think it will be fine.

No comments: